Gas consumption refers to your real-time consumption rate of gas during a dive. In other words, it is the amount of gas a diver would use in one minute on the surface. This is commonly known as your surface air consumption or SAC rate.
Gas consumption rate is measured in liters per minute (cubic feet per minute). This is an optional field and needs to be added to your custom dive mode views in DM5. In the classic view below, gas consumption rate is in the lower right-hand corner.
To enable gas consumption
- Add the gas consumption filed to your custom dive mode in DM5. See Customize dive modes with DM5.
- Install and pair a Suunto Tank POD. See Tank pressure.
- After you have selected the correct gas and returned to the main time view, keep the middle button pressed to enter menu.
- Scroll to Gases with the lower button and select with the middle button.
- Scroll to the gas you just selected from your Tank POD and select with the middle button.
- Scroll to Tank size and select with the middle button.
- Check the tank size and change the size with the upper or lower button as needed. Confirm change with the middle button.
- Keep the middle button pressed to exit the menu.
For accurate gas consumption, you must define the tank size. Not defining the tank size leads to incorrect gas consumption readings.