The Suunto RGBM Heritage
At the heart of every Suunto dive computer is an algorithm – the reduced gradient bubble model (RGBM) – that calculates decompression for a dive. Relentlessly pursuing ever best models for divers of all types, Suunto continues to push for RGBM perfection. Suunto has been developing RGBM algorithms together with Dr. Bruce Wienke for well over a decade. A rich history full of science, development, and underwater experience lies within every Suunto dive computer.
Our pioneering algorithm for managing dissolved and free gas in blood and tissue. Used in Suunto Vyper Air, Vyper, Cobra, Cobra3, Zoop, D4i, and D6i, this adaptable algorithm provides an accurate picture of what’s happening in the body throughout a dive.
- First on the market to implement leading scientific research in decompression modeling.
- Reliability proven by millions of successful dives.
- A pioneering effort reflected in many other dive computers on the market.
Suunto Technical RGBM
An advanced algorithm that provides flexibility and safety during ascent through continuous decompression. Created especially to meet the needs of technical divers, it eliminates the need to constantly monitor depth, time, and when to switch gases, and means all critical data can be provided through a single device. Used in Suunto HelO2 and D9tx computers.
- Founded on the proven Suunto RGBM.
- Developed together with Dr. Bruce Wienke.
- First to include helium in breathing mixes and supports dives down to 120 m.
- Thoroughly tested with over 700 field dives by Suunto test diving team and validated by comprehensive laboratory test dives.
Suunto Fused™ RGBM
The new Suunto Fused™ RGBM algorithm seamlessly combines the benefits of the Suunto Technical RGBM with the latest full RGBM for deep dives. It has rebreather capability and supports dives down to 150 m.
With no input from the diver, Suunto Fused RGBM automatically switches between the two models to effectively manage the risks of decompression sickness. Used in Suunto DX.
- Helps maximize bottom time while minimizing ascent time; novice divers can use the same Suunto dive computer including Suunto Fused RGBM as they advance in their hobby.
- Provides a slow continuous ascent from depth so technical and deep divers have shorter total decompression time.
- Thoroughly tested with over 1,000 field dives by Suunto test diving team and validated by comprehensive laboratory test dives.
DR. Bruce Wienke:
“RGBM is the most realistic model in science. The parameters are correlated with real data of thousands of dives which makes it good physics, and the data is validated and correlated. I have been working with Suunto since the 90’s and Suunto’s progression from Suunto RGBM to Technical RGBM and now to Suunto Fused™ RGBM is a very natural one. The new algorithm is a supermodel that covers all types of diving.”