All the Suunto watches have two types of reset available to address different issues:
- the first one, the soft reset, also known as the restart.
- the second one, the hard reset, also known as the factory reset.
a. The soft reset (restart):
Performing a restart on your watch might help with the following situations:
- the device is not responding to any button presses, taps, or swipes (the touch screen is not working);
- the display is either frozen or blank;
- the display is frozen in the boot mode (the watch's display shows a downward-facing arrow, "arrow down" issue);
- there is no vibration e.g. during button presses;
- the watch functionalities are not working as expected e.g. the watch doesn't record HR (optical heart rate LEDs are not blinking), the compass is not finalizing the calibration process, etc.;
- the step counter is not counting your daily steps at all (please note, recorded steps may be shown with a delay in the app);
- SuuntoLink doesn't recognize the device when plugged in correctly and the USB cable is not faulty.
Note: The restart will end and save any active exercise. Under normal circumstances, the exercise data will not be lost. On rare occasions, a soft reset may cause memory corruption issues.
Performing the soft reset:
- Suunto Ambit: long-press all 5 buttons at the same time for 10s then release them.
- Suunto Ambit2/ Ambit2 S/ Ambit 2R: long-press all 5 buttons at the same time for 10s then release them.
- Suunto Ambit3 Run/ Sport/ Peak: long-press all 5 buttons at the same time for 10s then release them.
- Suunto Ambit3 Vertical: long-press all 4 corner buttons at the same time for 10s then release them. You will need to turn the device back on by long-pressing the upper right button.
- Suunto Traverse/ Traverse Alpha: long-press all 4 corner buttons at the same time for 10s then release them. ou will need to turn the device back on by long-pressing the upper right button.
- Suunto Spartan Collection: long-press the upper right button for 12s and then release it.
- Suunto 3/ 3 Fitness: long-press the upper right and left buttons for 12s and then release them.
- Suunto 5: long-press the upper right and left buttons for 12s and then release them.
- Suunto 7: has a specific procedure and it is essential you read these instructions.
- Suunto 9/ 9 BARO: long-press the upper right button for 12s and then release it.
There are specific circumstances under which the soft reset might not solve the issue and the second type of reset may be performed. In case the above has not helped with the issue you were aiming to solve, the hard reset might be able to help.
b. The hard reset (factory reset):
The factory reset will restore your watch to the default values and will erase all data from your watch, including exercise data, personal data and settings that have not been synced to either movescount.com or to the Suunto app. After a hard reset, you must go through the initial setup of your Suunto watch.
Performing a factory reset on your watch may be performed in the following situations:
- a Suunto Customer Support rep has asked you to do so as part of the troubleshooting procedure;
- the soft reset did not solve the issue;
- the battery life of your device is significantly reducing/ is reduced;
- the device is not connecting to GPS and other troubleshooting has not helped (doesn't apply to the Suunto 3/ 3 Fitness).
- the device has connectivity issues with Bluetooth devices (e.g. Smart Sensor or mobile app) and other troubleshooting has not helped.
- you are following the SuuntoLink firmware update troubleshooting steps.
Performing the factory reset:
The factory reset of the watches is done via SuuntoLink (the only exception is Suunto 7). If you haven't installed SuuntoLink yet, please get started with SuuntoLink here.
- Connect your watch to your computer using the provided USB cable and open SuuntoLink.
- Wait for the watch to be recognized and for the sync to be complete and click the cogwheel (upper right corner) and select Watches.
- Click on Watches and under the watch name select Reset all settings.
- SuuntoLink will ask you about the procedure you are about to initiate, please Confirm it.
- Select Reset watch, to start the reset procedure in which SuuntoLink re-installs the latest software version available for your watch.
- The watch will automatically set itself to the boot mode ("arrow down" screen) until the update is finished.
- When you see the setup wizard on your watch, it means the update is complete and you can safely disconnect your watch from the USB cable.
- Start again by setting up your watch.
Note: the factory reset deletes the previous pairing information your watch might have had. To be able to start the pairing process with the Suunto app again, we recommend you to delete the previous pairing from the Suunto app and from your phone's Bluetooth - under Paired devices.
In case you are looking for the resetting procedure for your Suunto 7, read and follow the instructions here.
Both presented scenarios are to be performed only for emergency situations. You should not perform them on a regular basis. If any issue persists, we recommend you either contact our Customer Support or send your watch to one of your authorized service centers.