The Western States 100-Mile Endurance Race is the world’s oldest 100-mile trail trace race, bringing hundreds of athletes together each year to navigate the challenging route across the Sierra Nevada Mountains, from Squaw Valley to Auburn, California. With over 18,000 feet of climbing and nearly 23,000 feet of descent, the race has become one of one of the ultimate tests of endurance in the world.
“Western States is one of the most highly regarded ultramarathons in the world and we are honored by the opportunity to connect with a wonderful race community,” says Suunto Americas Marketing Manager Caleb Whittle.
“Given Suunto’s heritage in navigation as well as the ongoing success of our Suunto 9 sports watch, this partnership is an ideal fit,” says Caleb.
In the Suunto 9, Western States athletes have one of the ultimate timepieces available to ultra-distance runners. Highlights of the Suunto 9 include customized battery settings and 120-hour battery life, as well as the unique FusedTrack technology, which improves GPS accuracy while extending battery life.
What does the ultra-running community mean to you?
As the exclusive sports watch sponsor for the California event, we will grant one lucky winner a coveted place at the 2019 start line and a Suunto 9 watch through the fan-generated #SuuntoUltraCommunity contest, which runs through November 8 – 27, 2018.
To participate in the contest, Western States hopefuls should post a photo on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter with a caption describing what the community of ultra-running means to them, along with the hashtag #SuuntoUltraCommunity. In order to qualify, all entrants must meet all requirements to run the Western States 100, including having finished a qualifying race and applied for the lottery by November 10, 2018. The winner will be announced at the lottery drawing on December 1, 2018.
All images by: Luis Escobar
Social Media Terms and Conditions
There is no purchase necessary to enter this contest; however, participant must be willing to pay the race entry fee ($450USD) upon announcement (see wser.org for more information)
By entering this competition, an entrant is indicating his/her agreement to be bound by these terms and conditions.
The contest will be run on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter
Only one entry will be accepted per person.
The contest is open to citizens of the Fifty United States and the District of Columbia, Denmark, Germany, Spain, France, Norway, Finland, Sweden, United Kingdom, Russia, Canada (excluding the province of Quebec) Japan, Australia, Austria and New Zealand.
Closing date for entry will be November 27, 2018. After this date the no further entries to the competition will be permitted.
No responsibility can be accepted for entries not received for whatever reason.
The rules of the competition and how to enter are as follows:
- Post an image on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter of your interpretation of the community of ultra-running
- In the caption/description, explain what the community of ultra-running means to you
- Tag @Suunto and use the hashtag #SuuntoUltraCommunity
- Suunto reserves the right to cancel or amend the competition and these terms and conditions without notice in the event of a catastrophe, war, civil or military disturbance, act of God or any actual or anticipated breach of any applicable law or regulation or any other event outside of the promoter’s control. Any changes to the competition will be notified to entrants as soon as possible by the promoter.
- Suunto is not responsible for inaccurate prize details supplied to any entrant by any third party connected with this competition.
- The prize is as follows: One (1) entry into the 2019 Western States 100-Mile Endurance Run and one (1) Suunto 9 Watch.
- The prize is as stated and no cash or other alternatives will be offered. The prizes are not transferable. Prizes are subject to availability and we reserve the right to substitute any prize with another of equivalent value without giving notice.
- The winner will be chosen by a panel of Suunto employees
- The winner will be announced live during the Lottery drawing on December 1, 2018 and on the WSER website no later than 2pm PST on the same day.
- Suunto’s decision in respect of all matters to do with the competition will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- By entering this competition, an entrant is indicating his/her agreement to be bound by these terms and conditions.
- The competition and these terms and conditions will be governed by United States of America law and any disputes will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of the United States of America
- The winner agrees to the use of his/her name and image in any publicity material, as well as their entry. Any personal data relating to the winner or any other entrants will be used solely in accordance with current US data protection legislation and will not be disclosed to a third party without the entrant’s prior consent.
- Entry into the competition will be deemed as acceptance of these terms and conditions.
- This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook, Twitter or any other Social Network. You are providing your information to Suunto and not to any other party.
Suunto shall have the right, at its sole discretion and at any time, to change or modify these terms and conditions, such change shall be effective immediately upon posting to this webpage.