Suunto 9 offers four predefined battery modes – Performance, Endurance, Ultra and Tour. You can also create a custom battery mode for the sport mode you selected.
When starting an exercise, Performance mode is activated by default. You can quickly switch modes by pressing the upper right button while in the exercise start display. The battery modes have the following settings, which can be viewed below the exercise start display, under Options - Battery modes.
Note: On Suunto 9 and Suunto 9 Baro (but not on Suunto 9 Peak), using Good and Ok GPS accuracy (used in Endurance and Ultra mode), in the Running and Trail Running sport modes will activate FusedTrackTM , to provide a good track even with lower GPS points and battery consumption.
Note:Battery mode selection is memorized in the watch. The last battery mode you selected with a specific sport mode will be suggested to you the next time you launch that same sport mode.
Note: Custom battery modes are always sport mode specific, meaning you can define a different custom mode for every sport depending on your needs.
To better understand the battery-saving options available on your Suunto 9, here is a list of settings and features and their impact on the watch's battery life:
High impact on battery life
- Backlight ON. To save battery: Set the Backlight toggle to normal (gray) in the Options.
- GPS accuracy: Best. To save battery: Set accuracy to Good.
Medium impact on battery life
- Multiple satellite systems in use: Using Glonass or Galileo in addition to GPS. To save battery: Select GPS+QZSS only in Settings => Navigations => GPS System.
- Display always on. To save battery: Set the Display timeout after 10 seconds.
- Display in full-color mode. To save battery: Activate Low color mode.
- Wrist HR on. To save battery: Use a chest HR belt.
Note: You will find an additional Heart rate setting in the Options menu. When deactivating this heart rate setting, the watch will not measure the heart rate. By default, Ultra and Tour mode disables all HR tracking (both wrist and chest). To enable HR tracking (in Ultra and Tour mode), go to Options under the start indicator.
Low impact on battery life
- Touch on. To save battery: Disable touch display.
Additional battery saving tips:
- Low surrounding temperatures may shorten the battery life of your watch.
- Frequent autolaps, sound and vibration may shorten the battery life of your watch.