This article covers the most common pairing issues between the Suunto 3, 5, 9 or Spartan watch models and the Suunto app for iOS.
- You cannot pair your watch to the Suunto app and/or you have had issues with the pairing.
- You have not received a passkey when pairing your watch.
- You cannot find your watch on the list when you try to pair it.
- You want to start using the Suunto app but you still have the Movescount app installed.
- Make sure you have the latest Suunto app version installed. Go to your App Store and check for any available updates and install them (if any).
- Make sure your device is running the latest software. Connect it to SuuntoLink on your computer and the program will automatically check for any available updates. Learn how to update your watch to the latest software.
You cannot pair your watch to the Suunto app and/or you have had issues with the pairing.
In most cases, the pairing issues will be fixed if you follow these simple steps:
- Make sure you do not have the Movescount app installed on your iPhone. If you do, please uninstall it and start the pairing process again.
- Turn on/off your phone's Bluetooth. For this, you need to go to your iPhone's Settings - select Bluetooth and toggle the switch. This action cannot be done directly from the quick menu.
- Alternatively, you can restart your phone (more info on restarting your iPhone here) and reset your watch (the reset procedure varies too, please check this FAQ to identify the correct way for your watch).
If all of the above failed to solve the issue, you should check the following items that might interfere with the connection.
- Check if the watch is already paired with the iPhone: go to the iPhone's settings - Bluetooth and if it appears as a paired device, please remove it and start the pairing process again. If the pairing still fails and you have other Suunto watches available under Bluetooth, remove all the connections and start again.
- Check if the watch appears to already be paired with an app: go to the watch's settings and in Connectivity - under Paired devices and check if it is paired. Remove the pairing and restart your watch (go back to the watch face to restart the watch).
- Check that both devices (watch and iPhone) have their Bluetooth turned on and Airplane mode turned off. Go to the watch's settings - Connectivity - Discovery and toggle the switch to green (if it isn't already). For more information on the pairing process, check out this video here.
- Check if the Suunto app has access to the iPhone's Bluetooth: go to Settings - scroll down to the apps and find and tap Suunto app - toggle the Bluetooth switch green (if it isn't already).
You have not received a passkey (PIN code) when pairing your watch.
This issue might appear when the Do not disturb mode is turned on:
- Open the shortcuts menu from the watch face by keeping the middle button pressed.
- Turn Do not disturb mode off (the toggle must be grey).
If this fails to solve the issue, please go through the indications detailed in the section above ("Pairing fails...")
You cannot find your watch on the list when you try to pair it.
Make sure your watch is awake: press the middle button, and then, in the watch's settings make sure the following options are set accordingly:
- Airplane mode is off: Settings - Connectivity - Airplane mode off.
- Bluetooth discovery is on: Settings - Connectivity - Discovery on.
- Power saving is off: Settings - General - Power saving off.
If your watch is paired with another mobile app e.g.the Suunto Movescount App, follow the troubleshooting steps listed in the section below.
You want to start using the Suunto app but you still have the Movescount app installed.
Having both apps installed on your iPhone and using them simultaneously will cause pairing and connectivity issues with your watch. We strongly recommend uninstalling the Movescount App and pairing your watch with the Suunto app. This does not apply to S3 and S5. Please go through the following steps to remove the Movescount app pairing:
- On your watch:
Go to the watch's Settings - select Connectivity - then Paired devices and select Mobile App and Forget.
- On your iPhone:
After deleting the Movescount app, go to your iPhone's settings - select Bluetooth and remove the watch from the list of connected devices.